Friday, May 27, 2005

Star Market

I moved to the Boston area about a year ago. While I know that I should have taken care of it right away, I didn't transfer my drivers license to Massachusetts until a few months ago (the day after I got pulled over and the police officer seemed displeased that my license did not match my registration, which is technically illegal). But whatever, I was still driving legally and had proof of age and identification.

Well, one day in February I went into Star Market on my way home from work. It had been a particularly bad day, I don't remember why, and so I decided I'd buy a bottle of wine to go with my dinner (nevermind that I probably had nearly 2 dozen bottles at home at the time). The signs in the liquor department say that you need proof of age to buy liquor and show a generic drivers license - I checked. I head over to the checkout line, where there's a young-looking guy. When it comes to my bottle of wine, I hand him my drivers license (I usually have it ready) - he calls over a manager, saying that he needs her to check it because it's out of state. When she comes over (a few minutes later) and takes my license, she looks and me and then walks away with it. I'm feeling distinctly uncomfortable at this point, but no big deal. Another several minutes pass, and she comes back to tell me that she cannot accept my license because it's out of state and they don't have to. Okay, now I know that Massachusetts is a lot stricter than other states I've been in about in-state and out-of-state identification as far as purchasing liquor goes, but if that's the case, why make me go through that in the first place? Why not tell me that you can't accept it, instead of calling someone over, making me wait, walking away with my license, making me wait, then coming back to say you can't accept it, depriving me of my bottle of wine, wasting my time, and making me look like I'm doing something wrong EVEN THOUGH I'VE BEEN LEGALLY ABLE TO PURCHASE ALCOHOL FOR 2 1/2 YEARS.

I went back the next day to complain to the store manager, who said my license looked fine to him. I hate that because I look young and am young, I have to endure so much criticism to get a glass of wine (how many underage kids do you see who spend hours looking at and selecting the perfect wine? I bet none).

Ohh, and they accepted my license the week before and then again the week after, without having to call anyone over. Consistent policies, I see.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Liz! Very amusing blog. I know exactly how you feel about the driver's license crap. At my bank in D.C. I had to try three different branches before I found a branch reasonable enough to allow me to deposit money in my own account despite the fact that I have a New York driver's license (which I refuse to change as I don't have a car and move practically every year). Finally I gave the bank teller a mini lecture in the constitutional development of the doctrine of privileges and immunities of United States citizenship and then instructed her that I didn't care who wanted to deposit money into my account, if someone wanted to give me money she had my permission to accept it on my behalf. By that point I had either convinced her or I had confused her enough that she was willing to do whatever I wanted just to get rid of me. Anyway, it's nice to know that other people have the same experiences with the complete idiots who staff these customer service departments!

(I did have ONE good experience. I ordered an umbrella from umbrellas.com and they sent me the wrong color, so I called and they told me I was going to have to pay to ship it back. I said I didn't think it was fair that I should pay shipping costs when it was their mistake and the customer service rep said she would get back to me after checking with her manager. Guess what? She actually got back to me - fifteen minutes later, no less - and said that her manager didn't think that was fair either and that I should keep the wrong umbrella as their gift to me, and they would send the right one free of charge! And I got my umbrella and gave the other one to a friend, who loves it! But that's the only time anything like that has happened...)

Anyway, keep posting your frustrating experiences and know that there is at least one person who totally sympathizes! =)

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home