Friday, May 27, 2005

Capital One

I'm moving this weekend. Part of moving includes changing the mailing and billing addresses on way more things than should be necessary. While I wish that there was ONE FORM I could fill out to change all of my addresses, this is not what this post is about.

My Capital One credit card was #17 on the list of addresses I changed the other day. I pushed it so far down the list because they did not have an easy web form for address changes, and I unfortunately had to call.

First of all, Capital One is one of the many companies that require intense navigation of their phone menu. Press 1 for English. Now enter your 16 digit account number. Now listen to our menu of 2309578342975 choices to find the right one for you! I usually try and circumvent these menus by pressing random numbers until I get a person, but Capital One will not be fooled! Now they want my social security number! And for "security" purposes (having my account number and social are clearly not enough), could I please type in my phone number? Sure, anything you want, Capital One!

Finally, finally, finally I get a real live person (in India, it seems, but whatever - I take what I can get). What is the first thing she asks me? MY ACCOUNT NUMBER! WHY MAKE ME GO THROUGH ALL THAT NONSENSE TO ASK ME TO REPEAT IT ALL. I actually wouldn't be upset except a) it's a waste of my time and b) I actually hate giving my account numbers and social security numbers out over the phone - voicing those so that all of my coworkers can hear seems like it could one day get me in trouble (not that I don't trust them, I do, but you never know). So I'm annoyed by this, and discuss with her why I shouldn't need to give her my account number (after all, clearly I needed to have already put in all of that information to be able to speak with her, and what were they verifying my phone number against? a blank screen? REAL SECURE). So what does she do? SHE HANGS UP ON ME.

I'm of course seething mad at this point - now I have to call again, navigate through the menu again (account number, social security number, press these 239587345987234 numbers, now verify your phone number, etc...) and finally get someone who thankfully doesn't ask me my account number. She changed my address and I demanded a supervisor, because hey, they wasted my time, now I'm going to waste theirs by complaining. The supervisor (still in India!) tells me that she's sorry, but there's no record of the call because I never gave my account number. She also informs me that there's no direct way to get through. Thanks for being totally customer unfriendly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home